Just as the name implies, solid wood flooring is solid hardwood, through and through. Unlike engineered flooring, solid flooring has no fabricated core. Because of this, it's very easy to refinish, and almost never has to be replaced.
Solid wood reacts to changes in the surrounding temperature as well as to the amount of moisture in the air. Because of this, it often expands and contracts as a reaction to that. For this reason, you should only install solid wood flooring at or above ground level.
There are many different species of wood flooring. Each one has a different and distinct characteristic that sets it apart from all the others. For this reason, one type of hardwood might be best for your own personal needs.
- Cherry features a distinctive, fine grain with a silky smooth texture for a very sleek and illustrious look. The wood has tints of pink or red and it accepts stain very well. The older and more exposed to light they are, the deeper the wood color becomes.
- Walnut is well known for its dark and rich brown color that has made it the flooring material of choice for centuries. Walnut is strong, yet lightweight, with a swirled grain that gives your floors a feeling of depth and sophistication.
- Oak is dense, hard and has an open grain that lends to its overall traditional feel and look. Colors tend to be neutral, however this is a wood that can be stained easily.
- Maple has a naturally light color, but its texture is uniform with variations that make it increasingly popular. One of maple's fundamental features is its resistance to shock and how well it takes staining.
- Hickory is hard, strong, and well noted for its dramatic variations in pattern and color. This emphasizes the natural beauty of the wood and makes it a popular choice among the more sophisticated patrons of hardwood flooring.
To learn more about hardwood flooring, visit Beseda Flooring & More in Saint Charles here
where we proudly service the areas of St. Louis, Chesterfield, and Wentzville. In the meantime, you can also browse some of our best selling hardwood floors here